Deprecated: The behavior of unparenthesized expressions containing both '.' and '+'/'-' will change in PHP 8: '+'/'-' will take a higher precedence in /home/iano/public_html/tpforums-vb5/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 5842

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant MYSQL_NUM - assumed 'MYSQL_NUM' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/init.php on line 165

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant MYSQL_ASSOC - assumed 'MYSQL_ASSOC' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/init.php on line 165

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant MYSQL_BOTH - assumed 'MYSQL_BOTH' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/init.php on line 165

PHP Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in ..../includes/functions_navigation.php on line 588

PHP Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in ..../includes/functions_navigation.php on line 612

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant misc - assumed 'misc' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code(6) : eval()'d code on line 1

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant index - assumed 'index' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code(6) : eval()'d code on line 1

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant misc - assumed 'misc' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(1422) : eval()'d code(4) : eval()'d code on line 1

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant index - assumed 'index' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(1422) : eval()'d code(4) : eval()'d code on line 1

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant onlinestatusphrase - assumed 'onlinestatusphrase' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4684) : eval()'d code on line 6

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant onlinestatusphrase - assumed 'onlinestatusphrase' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4684) : eval()'d code on line 6

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant onlinestatusphrase - assumed 'onlinestatusphrase' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4684) : eval()'d code on line 85

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant onlinestatusphrase - assumed 'onlinestatusphrase' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4684) : eval()'d code on line 85

Languages and languages

View Poll Results: Do you write code in your native language?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and my native language is not English

6 30.00%
  • No, but I am not English

10 50.00%
  • Yes, but my native language is English

3 15.00%
  • No, but I do write comments in my native language (non-English)

1 5.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Languages and languages

Languages and languages

I noticed some code Ash Katchup posted was in a foreign language, and it made me curious... How many people actually program in their native language?

If you have the time I'd ask everyone to vote on the poll and put some feedback if you think your opinion is controversial, maybe we can get a good debate on the go...

that foreign languague is pt-br

I'm br and all my code is written in en-us, or at least I try to keep so.

I know my english is far from perfection, but I think is important to keep it as english as possible because at any time in a near future, someone will be able to read it if I decide to share some parts of it, or even the whole work without the needing of rewriting it all.

lol, I have never asked myself this :O
    and well, I don't really care about what language to use.... as long as I know it lmao xDD

Super Moderator
    I always write in English, even if it's some tiny project nobody else will ever see

Yes, I rather use English on my projects, mainly because it is one of the most used languages and it is easier to read.
    TibiaViewer taking AFK botting to a whole different level Sign up!.

I never write code nor comments in Swedish, only in English... and sometimes in German... when it needs that extra something.

I tried to write code in swedish long time ago, it was horrible. Even tho Swedish is a beautiful language
    How to find battlelist address --> http://tpforums.org/forum/thread-8146.html
    Updating addresses --> http://tpforums.org/forum/thread-8625.html
    DataReader --> http://tpforums.org/forum/thread-10387.html

Code:
    var kjøretøy = new Snøskuter();
    kjøretøy.kjør();
    Heuheuaheuaheuahe.

Looked this up a bit today and it looks like the general "rule" is never to program in anything except English. 90% of the posts I've seen say that any code written in non-English probably isn't worth using nor looking at. There is another 10% or so, however, which says that because some people do not speak English it will be far less productive for them to write code in English. I kinda see the point, but then I don't think it should be too difficult, since I'm pretty sure most people can learn enough English to write their program in it. What happens with, for instance, apps which are used for data entry, where the majority of clerks will be native to the programmer? If you surf the web you will frequently find objects named in Swedish, French, German etc, and these are primarily forms. In WinForms I guess it can be expected in certain software (local only) that it can be written in a native language for that reason...

Interesting so far though, there were 2 people here whose native language is not English and who do code in it... Would love to hear from you guys!

Another piece of interesting localisation shit: MS Visual Studio auto generates chunks of code for MFC components... That code comes commented, and the comments are written in the native language of the computer (or at least the native language of VS). The code itself, however, is still named and still generically uses English.

Also, sorry to convert this relatively short post into an essay, but someone posted this in response to a SOF question:

Quote Originally Posted by StackOverFlow
    I'm from Canada, but live in the States now.

It took me a while to get used to writing boolean variables with an "Is" prefix, instead of the "Eh" suffix that Canadians use when programming.

For example:

MyObj.IsVisible

MyObj.VisibleEh
    Hilarious.

This, however, is valid code in VS:

Code:
    [Flags]
    public enum Товары
    {
        Непонятно = 0,
        Книги     = 1,
        Тетради   = 2,
        Карандаши = 4,
        Всё = Книги | Тетради | Карандаши
    }
    Last edited by XtrmJash; 06-20-2013 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrmJash View Post
    I noticed some code Ash Katchup posted was in a foreign language, and it made me curious... How many people actually program in their native language?

If you have the time I'd ask everyone to vote on the poll and put some feedback if you think your opinion is controversial, maybe we can get a good debate on the go...
    Well, as you saw, i wrote my codes in PTBR.

I'm aware that english codes are far better to share, but unfortunately my boss commands me to use PTBR on my job (i work on a small software house). So, i've developed a habit to create PTBR codes on my private projects too.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrmJash View Post
    Interesting so far though, there were 2 people here whose native language is not English and who do code in it... Would love to hear from you guys!
    Make that 3. Sometimes I write in pt-br iff it is throw away code or i'm doing it for someone not skilled at all in english